John H. Robinson Center
Auburn Masonic Hall
The original timbers were milled in the Dutch Flat-Alta area and transported by rail to Auburn. The walls are of low temperature or soft fired brick. The front facade overlay is of sand molded terra cotta from the Placer County firm of Gladding McBean. There are segments of locally quarried granite substructures in the front part. Five large 8 foot by 8 foot windows with half circles mounted above adorn the front.
This building initial construction was completed in about 1917 and is the last remaining building of the original Central Square in Auburn. All of the other buildings were either destroyed by fire or were torn down. In 1990, the building was dedicated to the memory of a distinguished Mason and member of the Auburn Community. The building is now known as the John H. Robinson Memorial Hall. In an effort to help preserve this historic building, the Native Sons of the Golden West dedicated it as a “Point of Historical Significance” on September 12, 1998. The "Lodge Room" recently underwent a full renovation project.
The building is one of Auburn’s finest examples of the Beaux Arts style of architecture.
About 1910 the question of a more spacious hall, at a more central location, began to be agitated among the Membership of Auburn's Free and Accepted Masons, Eastern Star and York Rite Masons. Committee after committee was appointed and dismissed until the discussion was ended in the submission of an option from the Auburn Investment Company, which was dated July 24, 1913, for the purchase of a one-story brick building and a lot 80x92 in the middle of Auburn at a place called Central Square.
The building is 84 feet deep and 91 feet wide in the front. The structure is internally divided by a bearing wall 42 feet from the front. Full span 42 foot modified Howe trusses constructed of full length 8 inch by 9 inch members and full 2 inch by 8 inch rafters constitute the roof structure.